Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas is cancelled!

So further proof that the Santa Claus at the mall is really just some pervy old guy in a red suit, a padded stomach and scraggly white beard. Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins are dunzo. Sad face. Very sad face.


Robbins and Sarandon have been together over 20 years, after meeting on the set of 1988's Bull Durham. They have 2 children together - aged 17 and 19. Susan also has another daughter - actress Eva Amurri - from a previous relationship. The story was first reported on People.com yesterday afternoon. Sarandon's representative released the following statement: “Actress Susan Sarandon and her partner of 23 years, actor Tim Robbins have announced that they separated over the summer. No further comments will be made.”

Yes, I didn't know them. I realise that the break up of a couple I have never and will never met shouldn't upset me. But it does. They seemed like such an awesome couple. Smart and socially conscious, their age difference was irrelevant (Sarandon is 12 years older than Robbins). Low key, never seeming to relish in the Hollyweird lifestyle. Committed to their children. They have worked together on a number of occasions - most notably when he directed Susan's academy award winning performance in Dead Man Walking.

I personally loved them both in Bob Roberts - a little scene mockumentary written, directed and starring Robbins as a corrupt right wing folksinger on the political campaign. This is one of my favourite movies - definitely on my top ten list. Absolutely my favourite Tim Robbins movie. It is so very dark and twisty and funny and satirical. Love it.


Couples drift apart. I understand that. I just wish this one hadn't.
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment