Sunday, December 13, 2009

"The Runaways" gets a Poster and a 1st Screening Date

Kristen Stewart is gonna be one busy girl at The Sundance Film Festival in January 2010. Not only is Welcome to The Rileys part of the official program at the Festival in Park City, Utah but word has just come out that another film she completed in between filming New Moon and Eclipse here in Vancouver will be screened, likely looking for a distributor. I wasn't aware that they had a "non-competition" section to Sundance, but I am glad that they do.





The Runaways is the story of 1970's all-girl rock band of the same name. Starring Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie, the film chronicles the band from their formation in 1975 until 1977 when Currie left at the height of their success. Also starring Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon as their manipulative manager Kim Fowley, and Alia Shawkett, Scout Taylor-Compton & Stella Maeve, I really really hope that someone picks this film up. I would hate for it to languish on a shelf somewhere.



I think this story is so fascinating. They were a manufactured group, but they turned the music industry, particularly the hard-rock music industry, on it's head. A bunch of 15-16 chicks filling stadiums, taking on what had always been a male dominated world, living the rockstar lifestyle as teenage girls. Looks pretty f*cking rad if you ask me. The first poster and promotional pictures were released recently. The poster is all about the legs and the guitars - and the red. I like it! I absolutely love the picture of Kristen and Dakota - they look fricking amazing and bad ass in this shot. I can't wait to see this movie.


Gah! Why do I not have a life that affords me the ability to go to Sundance? Or TIFF? Or SXSW? Sigh.... Maybe one day I will....


XO

No comments:

Post a Comment