Friday, December 11, 2009

The Monster Ball - Show me your Teeth!!

If you know me, you know my musical tastes. I am in musical heaven if there is a somewhat cute boy with a guitar. He writes his own material, and seeing him in concert involves him and his guitar. That is my musical orgasm. It has worked for me over the years and I am generally left satisfied. I have always been more interested in the substance of an artist, more than the show.


This is why Lady Gaga leaves me torn. While I have appreciation for her substance as an artist, the show and hype surrounding her has always kind of irritated me. The costumes, the hint of a penis (which I am pretty sure she encouraged), her close friendship with the douchy Perez Hilton… all of that has left me cold. Especially when I know she is talented – she writes her own songs, plays the piano and wonder of wonders, sings live. I have heard her sing acoustically – she has a great voice. But the package….. there was the rub.



Over the past few months however, I have found myself more and more intrigued by this New York pop phenom. To see her in concert, or not to see her in concert? I am more of a folk music kind of gal, but Gaga I was now wiling to make an exception for. When my friend Nicole left me a message telling me we had ninth row seats to her concert at the Queen Elizabeth theatre, I did a happy dance in the middle of Filene’s Basement on the Upper West Side of New York.

Last night, I experienced the Monster Ball. From start to finish, through about 6 costume changes, Lady Gaga kept us totally and completely energized and entertained. She was so captivating that it wasn’t until about half way through the show that I realized the amazing abs of her dancers. Holy abs and impressive packages in their tight spandex. Hello salty goodness. We danced our asses off.


Loved the whole thing. Especially when it was just her and the piano. Only a song and half. But that made it worth the $90. Ninth row center. Short chicks in front of me. The perfect setting on my crappy camera found very quickly. She didn’t play the one song I always skip (Brown Eyes – such cheese).
From the first song to the final encore she was fricking awesome. She danced, she sang live and it was good. All good. So fricking good. To see her in a relatively intimate venue was fantastic. Next time it will be GM place and it will not be the same. The staging was relatively simple, lots of screens to give coverage during costume changes. Mainly it was just Gaga and the dancers.

One of the best shows I have seen all year. And I have been to a ton. She definitely made me wanna Just Dance!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment