Monday, November 16, 2009

Gone With The Wind.... 70 years later

I have said a number of times on this wee blog that if I had to pick my favourite movie, I would have a lot of trouble with it. Heathers is consistently in my top 5, but what may surprise you - considering the sarcasm and general blackness that surrounds me - is that one of the greatest "love" stories of all time is also up there.

Yes, I am speaking of the 8 time Academy Award winning movie, 1939's Gone With The Wind. I love this movie. The movie is amazing. Long long long. But awesome. Yes it is sexist. Yes it is sooo incredibly politically incorrect - what with the slaves and all. But I don't care. It was made in the 1930's and is about an important part of American history. Get over it please.

Would it make all you PC freaks feel better to know that the very first Oscar given to an African American was awarded to Hattie McDaniel for her role as Mammy... Scarlett's long suffering House Servant. Prolly not right?

You know what else? This is a funny funny movie. Surprisingly funny. I don't know if it was that funny the last time I saw it. Maybe it was the crowd at the theatre. Did I mention that in honour of the 70th Anniversary of the release of the movie it was shown again on the big screen..... total and complete fabulousness. Soo good.

Vivien Leigh is sublime. She had that whole one perfectly raised eyebrow thing going on. I have always wanted to be able to do that - but that is a skill I have yet to master. And Clark Gable as Rhett Butler......sigh. Could any man have been more rakish and handsome. He could sweep me of my feet any day of the week. Sigh.... swoon..... such a cad!

In the years since Gone With the Wind was published there has been a completely lame sequel - Scarlett - which I bought in hardcover. Waste of my f*cking money. It sucked balls more than words can say. Redonkulously bad. I saw a few weeks ago that there is also a Rhett prequel called Rhett Butler's People which went into Rhett's life before encountering his one true love for the first time. I am sure it is also redonkulously bad. Ugh ugh ugh to the estates of dead authors who allow their work to be ruined.

One final thing: Did you know that if you adjust the domestic ticket price to account for inflation Gone With The Wind would be the highest grossing movie of all time. Yea. Suck it Titanic.
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment