Friday, September 25, 2009

Hello Gorgeous!

Growing up, our family was a big fan of road trips. When I was a kid, the five of us would pile into the car and drive - Sydney, Jindabyne, all around Tasmania.... everywhere. I distinctly remember one trip to or at least through Bateman's Bay on the coast of New South Wales. I don't remember the specifics of this vacation - what we did or where we stayed. What I do remember is the music. It alternated between Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand. My parents loved them both and we were subjected to what at the time all three of us kids considered the total garbage that was Neil and Babs. As an adult I appreciate them both. I even got a little miffed at my mother about 15 years ago when she didn't buy me a ticket to Neil Diamond cause she thought I wouldn't want to go. And I have a standing date with her to go and see Barbra together if we are ever in the same country when she is touring.



All three of us kids bitched and moaned about listening to either Neil or Babs. I don't think I even liked "music" back then - but I knew that I did not like Barbra Streisand. We even came up with a nickname for her - Bloody Barbra, completely inspired by the fact we were going to Batemen's Bay. I was pretty young and found it rather daring that I could use such a curse word. Bloody Barbra. We thought it was hysterical. It still makes me chuckle, over 20 years later. I am very easily amused.
Barbra Streisand was on Oprah this week. It is hard to believe, but there was more to Oprah this week than Mackenzie Phillips revealing her consensual sexual relationship with her father. I am not going to even comment on this... except to say eww. Babs was there to promote her new album - Love is the Answer - coming out September 29th. More importantly, they unveiled the new limited edition Barbra Streisand Barbie Doll.


What the what? Barbra will have a Barbie? Gay men all over the world are peeing themselves in excitement. I even peed just a little and I am neither gay, nor a man. This doll is inspired by the an outfit she designed herself and wore to Hollywood's Coconut Grove in 1963.


All I have to say is Hello Gorgeous!
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment