Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patrick Swayze - One Sexy Beast

My friend Graham had a party last year celebrating Patrick Swayze's birthday. The theme of the party was "Patrick Swayze - One Sexy Beast". I am totally no making this up. His rationale was that Swayze can do anything, and Graham felt that this was enough of a reason to celebrate his birthday. Sadly I did not attend this party, something about me thinking I am too cool to attend a Patrick Swayze themed party, but according to Graham, there was cake and they all sang happy birthday to Patrick.

I really wish I had gone. I wish I had gone and ate cake and toasted and sang happy birthday to Patrick Swayze. Because sadly, Swayze lost a 20 month battle with pancreatic cancer yesterday. His representative releasing the following statement:

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months."

Such sad news. I have been a little bit in love with him since before Dirty Dancing - seriously. Do you remember North & South? I totally crushed on him in that. I was like 12 and he was so dreamy. That uniform........ sigh.

And then I saw the The Outsiders (made before North & South, I know), Youngblood, Roadhouse (loved that movie!!), Dirty Dancing (oh Johnny Castle) and then there was Ghost. And then Donnie Darko and Point Break. So many great movies.

That scene at the end of Ghost when he says to Demi Moore's Molly "It's amazing Molly. The love inside, you take it with you." Kills me every time. I lost my own father to cancer when I was 14, and although i may not believe in Heaven or god or any of that sh*t, I would like to believe that there is something there. I like to think that my dad took the love with him.

I am going to leave you with one of my favourite memories of Patrick Swayze. The Patrick Swayze who was a Chippendale dancer with Chris Farley when he hosted SNL in 1990.


"Patrick Swayze - One Sexy Beast"
Patrick - you will be missed.
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment