Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hot Garden in the City

I live in the West End of Vancouver, which is reportedly the most densely populated area in all of Canada. Real Estate is definitely at a premium in my hood, as most of us live in high-rise apartments. I am in a three floor walk up with no balcony. Sigh. I have no balcony, but I have stained glass windows in the hallways and stairwells.
Anyways, few people are lucky enough to have an actual garden. Last October I noticed that there was some interesting construction going on on the corner of Burrard and Davie Street. In what had once been a gas station, it seemed as if a garden was being created. And that is exactly what has happened. Right in the middle of the city, on one of the busiest streets in Vancouver, a Community Garden has been developed.

This is how it looked last fall when the Davie Village Community Garden was opened. For a nominal fee (around $25), anyone in the West End could have their own little garden right in the heart of the city. Apparently the fact that it is built over a gas station is not affecting the plants. Cause, check it out now......Isn't it purdy?
So amazing right? In less than one year, it looks so fantastic. I am not, nor have I ever been a gardening type person. I do not have a green fingernail, let alone a green thumb. So this growth may be normal. But to me, it is epic. Tons of flowers. Produce galore. Sunflowers that are taller than me.

The one concern that the cynic in me had about this noble effort was the pilfering that I assumed would occur. With all the homeless peeps in Vancity, wouldn't the prospect of fresh produce be too tempting? Or stealing the pretty flowers and selling them to unsuspecting tourists or dudes trying to impress their dates? Even for non-homeless people who are just assholes, wouldn't they go in under cover of darkness and help themselves. It is not as if they have any security cameras or people. I was walking by this garden yesterday, and noticed a spanking new sign - warning that any infractions would be reported to the police. Oh Human Nature, thanks for not letting me down. But you know what, I kinda wish you had this time.
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment