Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Jason Bateman Covers Details Magazine

Arrested Development was yet another of my very favourite Television shows. And it was yet another show that middle America didn't understand so it was cancelled. Ugh. Yes I am still bitter about it. The show was genius.



Jason Bateman's Michael Bluth was the moral compass of this hilarious, groundbreaking and hugely underrated comedy (okay, I will try and move on). He is gracing the cover of August's Details Magazine to talk about, amongst other things, an Arrested Development movie, his drug and alcohol fueled 20's, and how he is the ultimate Hollyweird Comeback Kid.

Currently one of the busiest leading men in Hollyweird, Jason has no less than 5 movies slated for release in 2009 and is working on at least 4 others. In The Baster, due to be released in 2010, he shares top billing (above the title no less) with everyone's favourite friend - Jennifer Anniston. Pretty good for a guy who pretty much fell of the radar for much of the 90's after early success in a number of 80's sitcom's. Although he fell pray to many of the pitfalls of being a child star, he has overcome his addictions and emerged stronger than ever.


Of the 90's Bateman says "It was like Risky Business for 10 years.....My parents were out of town, they left me a bunch of money, the car, and the house, and I didn't know when they were coming home. I'd worked so hard that by the time I was 20, I wanted to play hard. And I did that really well."

In 2001 Bateman married Amanda Anka (daughter of Paul Anka) and soon into their marriage she gave her husband an ultimatum that finally got him sober. Says Bateman, "I was never at a place where rehab would have been appropriate," he says of his drug use. "Booze was what would make me want to stay out all night and do some blow or smoke a joint or whatever, so shutting that off was key. It's like ketchup and French fries—I don't want one without the other. So that's the moment: Do you want to continue being great at being in your twenties, or do you want to step up and graduate into adulthood?" Now he is quite the family man, often seen around town with his adorable daughter Francesca.
I am very glad that he has cleaned himself up. I like seeing 80's child stars proving the stereotype wrong. I have loved him in everything I have seen him in recent years. His dry, deadpan humour is great and I really can't wait to see some of his upcoming movies - in particular in the Ricky Gervais comedy - The Invention of Lying" - looks amusing - and hello, Tina Fey. Enough said.
Okay, now onto the extremely important part of this article. Arrested Development. Rumours have been circulating around the interweb pretty much since it went of the air about the possibility of an AD movie. Everyone appeared to be on board (except Michael Cera, who needed to seriously get over himself) and there were reports that writer Mitchell Horowitz had begun writing the script. And now, according to the interview Jason gave Details the movie will be out late next yearish. Oh happy day! Ssly f*cking happy day. I cannot wait to see all the Bluth's again. Until then, I will just console myself with 3 seasons of DVD's.


XO

No comments:

Post a Comment